Our Olivia.

Well My darling 9month old gave us a bit of a scare This past Sunday, well two Sunday’s ago now. Jan 30th.
The day started off basic enough. Went to Church, out for lunch. Orlund got called into work so the girls and I headed out to Logan Lake (45minute drive) to visit with my Mom, Dad and Brother. My Brother was just in for the weekend and my folks are headed back to Thailand at the end of this week. The drive out was BEAUTIFUL. The girls slept most the way, and I enjoyed the sunshine and the chance to spend some time with the Lord. It was an awesome drive out. We hung out for a bit at my Parents place, then when the sun started to go down we realized we hadn’t taken the family photo’s we’d wanted to (would photo shop Orlund in later). We got in position and started shooting away. After a few different poses we stopped to look at the pictures on the computer. While my dad uploaded them my mom worked on dinner. She gave Olivia a string bean to keep her happy until dinner. We all agreed the photos weren’t very good so got back into position, bribed Joy, and started snapping away again.
During the flashing light counting down to what turned out to be our last photo I noticed Olivia was shivering. But we were preoccupied trying to keep Joy happy and looking at the camera. After the picture was taken I realized Olivia was still shaking. I looked down to realize her little arms were purple! I quickly spun her around to realize her face and lips were purple also. “She’s purple” I yelled, my mom grabbed the bean and I looking in Olivia’s mouth. Surely she was choking. Nope. her mouth and airways were clear, she was breathing and making winy noises. I didn’t know what to do so I prayed over her. My mom came and took her from me to take a look. Olivia passed out on my mom. I kept telling them that this wasn’t normal for her, something was wrong with my baby. So my Dad called 911. It took 10 minutes for the ambulance to arrive, which we spent most that time praying. By the time they got there she was back to her normal colour and in a deep sleep. We had tried to wake her in the 10mintues it took for them to arrive but she would just flutter her eyes at us and keep sleeping.
The paramedics informed us it was more than likely a seizure, as most people have a time that they are ‘passed’ out like Olivia did. They woke her up and checked her out. She had a slight fever but nothing over the top, and that was about it. Everything else was normal. I now had to make the decision, go in to town in the ambulance, or stay over night at my folks and go in in the morning with someone else. Olivia started falling asleep again, this isn’t normal, she’s usually more difficult to get to sleep (have to nurse her to sleep). So I decided to head in, Joy would stay with my parents and come in to town in a few hours.
Bumpy! Yup Ambulances are bumpy. I’ve always wondered what it would be like to ride in one. Now I know. 1hour ride, with a sleeping baby on my chest. We were strapped into the stretcher. She was on my bladder. bumpy. On the ride in the paramedic (Eric) kept checking on her, her fever was rising a bit.
Got to the hospital. Orlund arrived (just in time for me to go to the restroom). They took us in right away, the paramedics waiting with us until the nurses arrived. The doctor arrived after we’d told about 5 nurses our story (I might be exaggerating but it seemed like that many). The doctor said they needed to take blood and urine samples. That means Catheter. OUCH! they tried a bunch of times, then stopped and waited a bit. Came back and tried a bunch more, which they finally succeeded. Poor girl. The doctor ran through all the different reasons she could have seizures and fevers etc etc. Scaring me stiff! The results came back and she had a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI). “Very common” he said. Gave us a prescription for antibiotics, 2x daily for 7days, and sent us on our way.
We gave Olivia her first dose before putting her to bed. It was a late night. We headed to bed around 10pm. Aprox 10:20pm I awoke to Olivia’s cry. I went in to nurse her. She didn’t latch. That’s not like her. She was shivering. That scared me, but I tried to stay calm, so just tried to comfort her. She’s turning purple. The words ran like a banner across my mind. I ran into our bedroom and turned the touch lamp on. She didn’t look like she was purple but she was still shivering. Orlund woke up, he tried to stay calm. “She’s just shivering” he said “probably from the fever”. We took her temperature it seemed normal. I decided she just wasn’t right and Orlund agreed. He suggested I drive her in to the hospital while he calls/waits for his mom to arrive at our house to stay with Joy and he’d bring her car up.
I threw on a bra and a shirt (kept the pj pants on) grabbed my lip balm and wallet. (don’t know why I grabbed the lip balm but I’m thankful I did hospitals are SO dry!).
Thank you Jesus for keeping us safe on the drive! I only drove like 10km over, but every single light was green and I only saw 2 other cars on the road. The whole way I kept saying to Olivia “you’re okay, I’m okay, we’re okay” over and over again. My heart was screaming out to God but I couldn’t form any other words, I felt He was telling me it was okay.
Again, Thank you Lord. When I arrived at the hospital I ran into the Triage nurses station and our friend Brianne saw me. She was the head nurse this night, and she’d visited us earlier. She came and asked “What’s wrong babe?” “She’s purple and shivering” I answered, I realized I was crying “I’m sorry, My nerves can’t take this”. I hadn’t even looked to see if Olivia was purple or not, however I knew by her wining in the car something was wrong. Brianne took Olivia from me, this is when I noticed she was in fact PURPLE! A deep deep purple. Then I was really scared! Brianne took us straight in and the nurses and a new doctor descended on my little baby. I held a little oxygen mask over her face, they got an IV line in, drew blood etc etc. Olivia’s colour was back to normal by the time Orlund arrived. The new doctor was good. And explained a lot. He scared me at one point when he said “she just bought herself 48hours”…WHAT? I thought, she only has 48hours? just slow down Jenn, let him finish….”in the hospital” he finished. PHEW! He had taken an extra long pause in there, NOT cool! A Pediatrician came and talked with us, and it was all a blur. Basically we would have to wait 48hours to get the cultures back to see what exactly she had, it was all due to the UTI but what kind exactly they wanted to know.
We were settled into our room around 3:30am. Orlund went home and I stayed with Olivia. 6am she got up for the day. As I lay on the bed with her, I realized we only had her blanket to entertain her. Then the nurse came in. She brought in a bag of toys and told us that they are now Olivia’s that she can take home with us after. Starlight Children’s foundation ~ THANK YOU! I teared up a bit at receiving this blessing. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to say no to those ‘give a dollar’ donations at the til again.
After the 48hours we found out she had Ecoli, which is the most common kind of UTI in girls. So she needed to be on IV antibiotics for 5days and then oral antibiotics at home for another 5 days. She had an Ultrasound to see if there was anything wrong with her kidneys, and Praise God they were fine. We were given a lot of information, and we were VERY well taken care of. Thank you RIH nurses and doctors!
The week went by rather quickly, we really got into a routine and now we have just one day left of antibiotics here at home then she’s done.
The week would have been a lot more difficult if it hadn’t all been in God’s timing. I was off work. My mom is still here, and Orlund’s mom was around as well. Thank you to our families for all they did! A special thanks to our Mom’s, My mom did our laundry and cleaned our house, brought me food and kept me company (as well as watched Joy here and there), and Orlund’s mom who mostly watched Joy (kept her napping on time and eating good). You both are huge blessings in our lives ~ THANK YOU! We love you! And Thank you to the ladies who are bringing us dinners, so Thoughtful of you, what a blessing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *